Details: Prep Time = 20 minutes. Cooking Time = 4-8 hrs. Serves = 4.
A classic dish that had to be played with, this is the best Bolognese I have cooked, I will keep experimenting with the flavors and any changes I will update, I have been told that bovril is the secret or was it worcestershire sauce, marmite, soy sauce, sugar,vinegar balsamic chilli or ruby port. It seems everyone has a spin on the classic Bolognese. Thanks to everyone at slow cooked wonders:) that discussed this with me yesterday. Especial for the suggestion that I use beef.
I had a tough audience to please as Neil my partner loves bolognese its one of his comfort foods, He really loved it and had thirds I think. I certainly didn’t freeze much. That was a massive thumbs up.
Both kids Guzzled it down my 5 yr old in record time, and my 3 yr old ate it all by himself.
Served on tagliatelle grated parmesan and a sprinkle of fresh basil very very nice.
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- 4 rashers of smoked bacon, grilled chopped.
- 2 tbls of Oil to cook, May need more less use as little as you can.
- 500g minced beef.
- 1 large Onion Chopped finely.
- 3 cloves Garlic Crushed (or chopped finely).
- 2 sticks celery washed chopped finely.
- 3 tsp oregano.
- 1 red medium heat chilli. de seeded and halved. 1/2 chopped very finely 1/2 in one piece for the top.
- 275g red wine.
- 1 beef stock cube.
- Tin chopped tomatoes. 400g.
- 2 tbsp tomato puree.
- 1 bouquet garni.
- 1 courgette Chopped finely.
- 1 green pepper chopped finely.
- 1 tsp flour to thicken, (or corn flour or rice flour what every you diet can handle)or leave it out.
- fresh basil & grated parmesan is an essential garnish.
Always lightly oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot.
- Grill the bacon.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sided frying pan medium high heat, Add the beef mince, bacon and brown, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and put in the hot pot/slow cooker. Turn on low.
- Clean the fat out of the pan leaving a small amount fry the onions in. (clean fat out with a slice of bread and chuck in the bin) re heat and fry the onions and garlic until soft. Then add the celery, oregano, fine chopped chilli and fry for a few minutes..
- Pour in the red wine bing to the boil. Turn down to simmer and crumble in a stock cube. Now add the tin tomatoes, tomato puree and season well. Gently Bring to boil and pour all over the mince. In the slow cooker/hot pot
- Add the courgette, pepper, half chilli and bouquet garni to the mix, stir well. Leave on low for 6-10 hrs. (add flour if required I prefer it with depends on your diet/allergy).
I serve this on a bed of tagliatelle, with fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese. (leave the cheese off for dairy free I am yet to find a nice dairy free cheese.)
NB: This is posted under Milk/Egg/Soya & Gluten free. For gluten free serve with rice noodles or gluten free pasta.
To make this a healthy recipe that may also aid in weight loss also read http://www.hotpothoney.co.uk/healthy-bites-in-the-slow-cooker/