Details: Prep Time = 20 minutes. Cooking Time = 8-10 hrs low Serves = 4
Beef Rendang. I really wanted to recreate this classic Malaysian dish. I knew this wasn’t going to be a easy task to cook in just the slow cooker. Beef Rendang takes a lot of (slow cooking sounds perfect) however the slow cooking evaporates the coconut milk, cooking the spices into the meat. Which is what is needed to make this dish dark in colour and therefore the spices act as a preserve and if cooked the traditional way the meat is good for around 3 weeks???
This version although delicious is different from the traditional. As in a slow cooker nothing evaporates. I recommend cooking this for 8-10 hrs however you can eat it at 6 hrs and it will still be delicious. You will see it darken as it cooks.
Enjoy this it is a taste sensation however it is Not a traditional Rendang.
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- 1 tbls of Oil to cook, May need more less use as little as you can.
- 750g braising beef.
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaf.
- 2 tbsp lemon Juice.
- 1 tsp Turmeric.
- 1 tsp Cumin.
- 10 Cloves.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 1 Cinnamon stick.
- 1 Large Onion.
- 4 cloves garlic. Finley chopped.
- 1.5″ of ginger. Peeled and grated.
- 1 Habanaro Chillie. Finley chopped. (these are hot chillies if you want it milder remove the seeds or buy bird eye chillies, They tend to get less hot as they slow cook and this dish is meant to be a Hot dish.)
- 400 ml tin coconut milk
- 1 tbsp brown Muscovardo sugar.
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce. (For soya free use Maggies seasoning liquid just 1 tsp tho)
- 2 sticks of lemon grass.
- Fresh Coriander leaves to garnish.
Always lightly oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sided frying pan medium high heat, Add the beef and brown evenly than pop this in the pot along with the Coriander leaf, Lemon juice, Turmeric, and Cumin. Soak up the remaining fat with a slice of bread(fed this to the birds) Cover and turn on low.
- Heat some oil in a pan when hot add the cloves, bay leave and cinnamon. fry for 5 minutes until aromatic.
- Now add the Onion, Garlic, Ginger and Chillie to the pan. Fry this until soft and smelling good. Take your time, with the spices in here too, theirs no rush, just don’t let anything burn.
- Stir in the coconut milk, Sugar, Soy Sauce and Lemon grass. Bring to the boil let it simmer for 5 minutes and then pour int the slow cooker, season and stir well.
- Cover for 8-10 hrs on low. Enjoy the smells.
I serve this with Turmeric rice and fresh coriander.
NB: This is posted under Milk/Egg/Tomato/Soya/Gluten free, and Paleo.