Details: Prep Time = 25 minutes Cooking Time =3 hrs on high the 30-40 minutes to cook topping. Serves= 4-6
If you love dumplings You’re going to Love this. I forgot to take the finished dish photo, Ooops. It took so long for the top to rise I forgot. However this was a very very yummy dish and I didn’t miss the lack of meat. I Really was not keen making this as I do like my meat dishes, however this was so tasty and enjoyable.
There was a point during cooking this that I thought it had all gone wrong, I thought this would be my first FAIL I added the topping and left it for 30 minutes the topping rose but I really thought it would do more, so 1 hr later when it still hadn’t changed any more I tried it and realised its was as done as it was going to be.
I t really surprised me just how tasty it was. I will cook this again and add a photo after the topping has risen. On Monday nights the kids eat at their nans so I offered to cook for some friends who live by us, poor things had to wait an hour after I told them It would be there.
I enjoyed this meat free dish so much i’m having the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- 1 tbls of Oil to cook.
- 1 Onion Chopped finely.
- Butternut Squash sm 500g. diced
- 2 Carrots. diced
- 1 Courgette.
- 1 tsp Caster Sugar.
- Rosemary Sprigs.
- 400g tin tomatoes.
- 250ml vegetable stock.
- Salt & Pepper.
Cheesy Top Mix
- 150g self Raising Flour.
- Pinch Salt.
- 50g Butter or soya spread.
- 75g Danish Blue. diced
- 4 tsp Chopped Rosemary.
- 4 tbs water.
Always oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sided frying pan medium heat cook the fry the onion for 5 minutes, then add the Butternut Squash, Carrots, Courgette and caster sugar, rosemary. Season and fry for a few minutes.
- While thats frying add the stock & tomatoes into the Hot Pot. Turn on high.
- Put all the ingredients into the Hot Pot. cook on high for 2-3 hrs.
- Make the topping by mixing the salt and flour in a bowl add the butter, and mix with fingers until bread crumb consistency. Stir in the cheese and Rosemary and add up to 4 tbsp of water to make a smooth dough.
- Squash & pat the dough into a circle about 18 cm diameter, Cut into 8 slices. place on top of the Butternut Squash cover and cook for 30 – 40 minutes on high or until they rise. After you can Brown under the grill if you Hot Pot fits. Mine didn’t.
NB: This is posted under Vegetarian, Egg free.