Details: Prep Time = 20 minutes. Cooking Time = 6-8 hrs Serves = 4
Happy New Year and welcome to My first post of 2014.
I never took a finished dish photo, it was NYE and was been splashed around in any old bowl. I didn’t want to stop my guest while I prepared the best dish to be photographed on a plate and then give them bowls.
Wow this was amazing I have cooked this twice however the second time I cooked it I doubled the Quantities and fed 8 adults on NYE. We all loved it and had a fab night. I also did a side dish of a very spicy chicken curry.
I do love Caribbean food, on a foot note I cooked this with a Lauki. *Lauki is a traditional Indian veg. However I wanted to add a veg to the dish as I was feeding so many and its a fabulous addition and I recommend it. So not very Caribbean at all. Leave it out if you wish.
They are Surprisingly easy to find in the supermarkets. I knew it was like a egg plant so it soaks up flavors it worked perfectly.
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- 1 tbls of Oil to cook, May need more less use as little as you can.
- 500g beef.
- 2 cloves of Garlic. Smashed and chopped roughly.
- 1 Habanaro chillie de-seeded for a little kick. Or with seeds for a bigger kick. Chopped very finely
- 1.5 inch Ginger peeled and cut into thin strips.
- Bunch of Spring Onions. Chopped roughly.
- 1 lauki peeled and chopped into bite size chunks *See notes above (you could us an aubergine instead)
- 160 ml Coconut Cream.
- 100 ml Beef stock.
- 100 g Shiitake Mushrooms, chopped in quarters or in half.
- 2 Fresh bird eye chillies pierced. To add on the top for the heat freak (optional)
Always lightly oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sided frying pan medium high heat, Add the beef brown and pop in the Hot Pot Slow cooker. Turn on low cover.
- Remove most of the fat with a slice of bread (feed this the birds) leave about a tbsp to fry in.
- Now add into the frying pan the Garlic, Chillie, Ginger and Spring Onion fry until aromatic. About 5-10 minutes add to the pot with the beef.
- Fry the Lauki in the remaining oils and flavors in the pan, fry until lightly browned. Add this to the pot too. About 5 minutes.
- Pour in the Coconut cream and then the beef stock. Season Well Lots of Black pepper. stir. Add the optional chillies on the top.
- Cover for 6-8 hrs.
- 30 minutes before serving throw in the mushrooms. 15 minutes later add a handful of chopped coriander.
I serve this from the pot onto a plain rice the flavors are all in the pot.
NB: This is posted under Milk/Egg/Tomato/Soya/Gluten free, and Paleo.
To make this a healthy dish that may help aid in weight loss, or a diet drink plan see here first http://www.hotpothoney.co.uk/healthy-bites-in-the-slow-cooker/