Details: Prep Time = 10 minutes. Cooking Time = 6 – 8 hrs on low Serves =4
Posting this I feel like a cheat. Really all I did was add a paste to water? that’s it anyone can do it, I did a little research into pastes and which one would be the best and nearest to my local Takeaway beef curry No 161. It also had to be dairy egg and nut free. Which wasn’t as much of a challenge as I first thought. There are a few brand out there.
I wanted the best and I think I have found it, after all its just an ingredient, its not a complete cheat is it? I did plan to use this and then recreate it from scratch. As its so cheap and a concentrate you don’t need a lot and one pot will make loads of curry’s for me. So why would I need to do that? This is more a recommendation than a recipe.
Enough waffle. Here is what I am talking about. Its available in Tesco’s in the world food isle or on line Google “Chinese curry Sauce, Goldfish Brand”
and here is a photo to show how easy it is. He didn’t even take his coat off. Sooo easy you can do it in outdoor wear. (and hes 3)
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- 1 tbls of Oil to cook, May need more less use as little as you can.
- 1 Onion Chopped finely x 2 (save a 1/4 for the end)
- 500 gm Pork diced.
- 1-2 peppers I used a whole green one and half a yellow one.
- The curry Sauce (Chinese curry Sauce concentrate Goldfish Brand) 1 part to 3 parts water. (NB it thickens up as it cooks). I ended up using 5 tbsp mixed with 500 ml water. Have made it again and used just 3 to about 500 ml however that was on the hob so more water needed.
- 4-5 Spring Onions Chopped into diagonals. To garnish.
Always lightly oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sided frying pan medium high heat, Add the 3/4 of the onions and soften.
- Meanwhile in a jug mix your curry paste and water with a fork. Pour into the Slow cooker (You can use hot or cold water I used hot. However make sure your slow cooker – hot pot is switched on and warming before pouring in hot liquid. Alternatively if using cold make sure its not on. Don’t want a cracked pot)
- Add the Pork (no pre-browning as it needs to soak up the flavors) peppers and the softened onions.
- 10 minutes before eating stir in the remaining raw onion (for that authentic Crunch)
I serve this with boiled rice, chips and sprinkled with the Spring onions.
You can add mushroom too the pot if you like. I love them but Neil gets cross if I use mushrooms. our local Chinese doesn’t.
NB: This is posted under Milk/Egg/Tomato/Soya/free. (curry Sauce contains wheat and mustard seed may contain traces of celery or soya)
can you suggest an alternative curry paste, as the Goldfish paste has MSG in it?
Response: I will have a look for you, I have seen a very interesting write up on a MSG and how it is a natural product its found in most foods ie tomatoes.I will try to find it out. I tend to avoid it but don\'t think a little will hurt.(depends why you avoid it of course).