Details: Prep Time = 10 Minutes. Cooking Time = 6 hrs on high. Serves = 4
I prepped this roast chicken, in the time it takes to boil an egg. Ready switched on low at 9.30 am . After the school run and before I ate my breakfast and got to my PC ready for work by 9.45. Its my first full ONE pot chicken everything was cooked in the pot here is how I did it.
NB: as it required so little of my attention I spent the afternoon at a friends letting the kids play headed home for 5 ate at 5.45. If I had to boil potatoes I would have needed to be back earlier. My pot just keeps giving.
Use any veg you want as long as it doesn’t need lots of cooking. It comes out a little ‘al dente’ Just how I like it. We like it. Asparagus tips would be perfect.
Oh and my pot is only a 3.5ltr the chicken nearly touched the lid make sure it doesn’t just re jiggle a little if needed.
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- 2 tbls of Oil to cook, May need more or less use as little as you can.
- 1 lemon.
- 1 sm chicken. Cooking guide lines for a 1kg to 1.5kg Chicken)
- 2 tsp dried Rosemary.
- 1 Onion Chopped roughly.
- 4 potatoes peeled and chopped into bite sized chunks.
- 150 ml water
- Tender stem Broccoli. washed whole.
- Green Beans. washed top tailed whole.
Always lightly oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot.
- Pierce the lemon all around and pop inside the chicken cavity.
- Rub the dried rosemary into the chicken skin with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sided frying pan medium high heat, Add the Chicken brown on all sides.
- Meanwhile peel four potatoes and chop into bite sized chunks, Peel onion and chop roughly. Add to the pot.
- Now make a chicken sling. (see photo) Two foil strips. place on TOP of the potatoes (otherwise its hard to get them out)
- Add the browned chicken breast up I have now tried both and up is better in my opinion.
- add 100 ml of boiled water. (if you want a lot of gravy add more stock 100- 300 ml)
- Leave for 5-6 hrs on high. 10-12 on low. Guide for a 1-1.5.kg (for 1.5 2.kg 6-8 high 11-12 low). Make sure the juices run clear as in an oven.
- Using the sling lift the chicken out. Pop it on the plate, now with a slotted spoon remove the potatoes and add to a baking tray turn the oven to gas mark 7 and cook for 30-40 minutes. Turn them regularly.
- Using the sling again put the chicken back into the pot turn on high (if not already) and throw on top the veg. Again 30 -40 minutes.
- After this time has passed dish it all up keep it warm on hot plates (oven) and make the gravy in to pot as below.
- With a masher gently squash the Onion down into the juice.
- Make sure the slow cooker is on high. Now mix up a little cornflour with water to a paste and stir in until you reach the desired thickness add gravy browning and whisk. (using a rubber coated whisk)
- With a masher gently squash the onion down into the juice.
- Make sure the slow cooker is on high. Now sprinkle in your usual gravy (bisto etc ) whisk until its the thickness you like. (using a rubber coated whisk)
Serve the gravy from the slow cooker pot with a plastic ladle.
I serve this altogether no extras everything was cooked in the pot. Whichever way you make the gravy. The flavors of the lemon and rosemary come through the juices and make this an amazing dish enjoy.
NB: This is posted under Milk/Egg/Tomato/Soya/Gluten free, and Paleo. Paleo and gluten free use a rice flour to thicken instead of corn flour. Or a for gluten free use swiss vegetable Bouillon powder . For soya free make your gravy using flour or corn flour and gravy browning or the swiss vegetable Bouillon powder.
To make this a healthy recipe that may also aid in weight loss also read http://www.hotpothoney.co.uk/healthy-bites-in-the-slow-cooker/