Details: Prep Time = 10 minutes. Cooking Time = 6-7 hrs on High Serves =4
I served this with Turmeric Rice but it would be great with veg and spicy potatoes like http://www.hotpothoney.co.uk/saffron-infused-new-potatoes/
You could put it on crusty bread or serve stuffed into a Nan bread with the Indian gravy poured in.
This is a great first taste for people who are not sure if they like Indian foods or not.
Both my kids whooped this down and I had a friends daughter staying with us to, she is a fussy eater however she ate this really well minus the gravy.
Neil gave it the thumbs up too and me well I just loved it its a little unusual to make a Indian gravy in this way but I’m so glad I did and will do it again one day.
And the next day the chicken cold on crusty bread was amazing the flavors in the chicken appeared to of enhanced overnight. I may well leave it to marinate overnight next time.
And There just a chance this marinade will find its way onto our oven cooked turkey this yr.
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- 1/2 tsp Salt.
- 2 tbsp lemon Juice.
- 1 green chilli.
- 2 tsp Garam Masala.
- 3 garlic cloves.
- 1.5 inch fresh ginger root.
- 1 tsp turmeric.
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds.
- 1 whole Lemon Pierced.
- 1 whole chicken 1.5-2kg
- 1 small brown onion 1/2 for under the chicken, 1/2 to blend with the spices
- 1 tbls of Oil to cook, May need more less use as little as you can.
Always lightly oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot.
- Make a chicken sling.
- Put the salt, lemon juice, Chilli, Garam Masala, Garlic, Ginger, Turmeric, Coriander seeds and half the onion into a blender. Blend until a rough paste.
- Put the whole lemon into the chicken carcass.
- Rub over half the paste into the chicken skin and push some inside the chicken too.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sided frying pan medium high heat, Add the Chicken fry on all sides till browned and smelling good.
- Add the rest of the onion into the slow cooker.
- Pop the chicken in the Slow Cooker/Hot Pot for 6 hrs on high.
The chicken sling
- Make sure the slow cooker is on high. Now mix up a little cornflour with water to a paste and stir in until you reach the desired thickness add gravy browning and whisk. The Indian Masala flavor is subtle but so tasty.
- Make sure the slow cooker is on high. Now sprinkle in your usual gravy (bisto etc ) whisk until its the thickness you like. Made this way the Indian Masala flavor is subtle but so tasty.
Serve the gravy from the slow cooker pot with a ladle.
I serve this with Turmeric Rice and the Indian gravy from the pot.
NB: This is posted under Milk/Egg/Tomato/Soya/Gluten free, and Paleo.