Details: Prep Time = 30 Minutes. Cooking Time = 6-8 hrs on low. Serves= 4.
This is a fantastic dish, I love toasted pine nuts of course if you are allergy free you can try other nuts such as cashews or peanuts. The pickled bean sprout with Chilli and the fresh lime finish this dish.The mix of zingy chilli and caramel is too good, I really enjoyed cooking this the kitchen was a mixture of aromas through the day as I prepared different bits at different times. This is in my top 10 just got to decide where it should go.
if only you could photography smells…..
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- 6 Quartered shallots.
- 700g Pork chopped into chunks.
- 2 medium/large Carrots sliced thin.
- 1 lemongrass stalk. Halved and slightly squashed.
- 150g light brown sugar.
- 1 tbsp fish sauce.
- Juice of half a lime. keep other half for garnish.
- 2 tbsp Pine Nuts.
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaf.
- 1 pinch salt.
- 125 ml rice vinegar.
- 1 tsp salt.
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar.
- 200g Bean sprouts.
- 1 Green birdseye chilli chopped finely. very fine.
Always oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot.
- Put the Pork, Carrot, lemongrass and shallots in the Hot Pot. Don’t turn on.
- Now for the caramelizing, don’t be afraid to try this, Its not hard But you need to watch it. Add the sugar and 2 tbsp of water into a saucepan stir until the sugar dissolves, then leave it to boil don’t stir it but watch it you are looking for it to turn dark golden brown in colour. It goes from perfect to burnt very quickly. As soon as it changes colour remove from heat tip in the lime and fish sauce this stops the cooking instantly, it may spit so be careful.
- Now pour all over the pork, carrots, shallot mix and turn on low for 6-8 hrs stir it at least once during cooking to stop it sticking together. Don’t remove the lid for long.
- Fry the pine nuts on a medium high heat, until browned. Then pop in a bowl stir in the coriander leaf and pinch of salt.
- 2-3 hrs before you plan to serve the dish prepare the Bean Sprouts. Mix the vinegar, salt and caster sugar in the saucepan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour the liquid into a bowl stir in the chilli and then toss the bean sprouts in the liquid. Make sure all the bean sprouts have been under the liquid. Put in the fridge until serving this needs at least 30 minutes to pickle.
I served this on a bed of rice, the pork mix on top then the bean sprouts and sprinkle on the pine nuts. Then a Squeeze of lime.
NB: This is posted under Milk/Egg/Tomato/Gluten free.