Details: Prep Time = 10 minutes. Cooking Time = 6-8 hrs low Serves =4
I was going to do a beef stroganoff, but last minute I swerved, its not something I want to eat but felt it is a popular dish that loads of people love but honestly it just not for me. (I will do a version, but this was not the the day). I love spice and at the moment I cannot get enough. More spice, more spice more spice. Its not a normal pregnancy craving, often people having the Opposite due to indigestion problems. I only hope it stays with me, loving my spice craving any plain foods just don’t interest me right now.
I have a friend who used to cook a lot of my food but she has decided its to strange at the moment! She really like traditional foods like beef stews and meatloaf. Don’t get me wrong I do love comfort food but right now the though of a carrot in a gravy makes me feel peculiar.
You will also notice that I didn’t take many photos, I didn’t even take one photo in the pot? it was valentines day and I think I was distracted. (it must have been the bathmat Neil got me for valentines day) (i’m so lucky). We didn’t exactly have a romantic evening as my mother-in-law joined us for tea.
However we did discuss how this time last yr I couldn’t have cooked us a meal like this if I had all day! (umm excuse the pun) I still find it crazy that I couldn’t cook other than a basic roast and now I have such a natural flair that I can change my mind last minute and create something as tasty as this.
Another first today was brown rice. Neil has decide he wants to be more healthy and that we should eat more brown rice. I agreed as long as he cooked it. I didn’t want it, I had a grump on but when I tasted it with the juice from this dish it worked perfectly and I will be using it more often. I’m such a child.
I also found out today that my baby is going to be a girl, I guess I did have good reason to be distracted after all.
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- 1 tbls of Oil to cook, May need more less use as little as you can.
- 2 tsp black peppercorns. Crush them (doesn’t have to be perfect but a good crushing)
- 1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce. (for soya free use 2 tsp of maggie liquid seasoning instead)
- 1 tbsp White wine vinegar.
- 1 tbsp sesame oil.
- 1 or 2 bird eye chilli, chopped fine. (if you want a good taste but little spice de-seed the chilli personal I used 2 with seeds.)
- 500 gm beef, I use slow cook beef so flavorsome and perfect for the slow cooker. (surprise).
- 1 lrg Onion Chopped finely.
- 2 cloves Garlic smashed and chopped roughly.
- 6-8 medium Mushrooms peeled and chopped into slices.
- 1 green pepper chopped into bite sized chunks. Or strips your choice.
Always lightly oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot.
- Put the peppercorns,Dark Soy Sauce, Vinegar, sesame oil, Chilli, in a dish and stir in the beef ensuring its all coated.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sided frying pan medium high heat, Add the beef and all juice brown lightly on all sides and add to the slow cooker inc meat juice just leave a small amount to cook the onions in the pan. (if your pushed for time just put it all in the pot and leave the browning, tho I recommend browning)
- Fry the Onion,Garlic and mushrooms together until the onion softens then add to the pot. (its essential for flavor to fry these).
- Add 200 ml of beef stock to the slow cooker- Hot Pot. You don’t want this to have loads of juice so have a look as you add it, remember it wont reduce so just add what you need which should be not covering the meat.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hrs, Stir once during cooking.
- 30 minutes before you wish to eat add the green peppers stir again and recover.
NB if you want the sauce thicker use a dash of corn flour in cold water make to a paste and add. Personally I don’t. I think it soaks into the rice better making every mouthful as tasty.
I serve this with plain brown rice the juice soaked into the rice and the whole dish worked perfectly together. Oh and pack choi. Perfect it was in the fridge from the weekend and needed eating, wouldn’t have gone with stroganoff. Good swerve or what?
NB: This is posted under Milk/Egg/Tomato/soya/Gluten free.
To make this a healthy dish that my aid in a number of weight loss programs see here first http://www.hotpothoney.co.uk/healthy-bites-in-the-slow-cooker/