Details: Prep Time= 20 minutes. Cooking Time = 6-8 hrs low Serves= 6-8
NB: I have my first competition with this post to win a Slow cooker, See end of post its on for two weeks only. Simply enter to win. Offer ends 8th July 2014.
I have to say i’m pleased as punch with these. I made them at the weekend I’m batch cooking for the pending baby. I didn’t want to have another mince type dish in the freezer so swerved from a pork chilli, creative mode kicked in which is great love it when I get a vibe to create.
I have been batch cooking filling the freezer for the new baby’s arrival which could be any second, (and I will be relived its hot I can hardly walk and i’m out of breath just typing. That said i’m very lucky and cant wait to meet her. Unfortunately I have to have a c section and I’m dreading the recovery. I really hope I will be back to blogging soon but realistically who knows till shes here. I have about two weeks of meals in the freezer so feeling accomplished.
Back to the dish this is my first dish on here to contain egg, if you are egg free leave the egg out. It will still bind with lots of pummeling. I know I have made lots of meat balls/burgers without eggs. My little boy can now handled cooked egg so life just got a little easier.
This is simple ingredients and yet fabulous results.
Don’t forget to buy the cranberry,red current or lingonberry Jam/Jelly.
I know Ikea sells lingonberry Jam in its food hall at the end of the shop. I will be adding that next time I go there.
NB when preparing ingredients those in the same colour can be mixed in the same bowl as they are used in the cooking process at the same time. Those in black are to remain separate.
- Small amount of Oil to fry onions.
- 1 Onion Chopped very finely (very finely your making meatballs)
- 3 tsp of White Pepper (get white pepper it works best with this dish)
- a slice of white bread (make breadcrumb’s I do this in a mini blender)
- 2 tbsp Dill I used dried but I’m sure fresh would be even better.
- 1 Egg (for egg free leave this out just work the meat extra hard) it will hold promise.
- 850g of lean pork mince.
- 1/4 tsp salt.
- Flour to coat.
- 1 tbls of Oil to cook, May need more less use as little as you can.
- 400 ml beef stock . (hot)
- 2 tsp of Dark Soya Sauce.
- 1 tbsp flour (again use as little as you can).
- season with a twist of salt and black pepper.
Cranberry jelly or redcurrant jelly to garnish (don’t forget this, important garnish)
Always lightly oil the Hot Pot before use this helps with cleaning and preservation of the Hot Pot.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy sided frying pan medium high heat, Add the Onion and fry until soft (if in a rush skip this but I personally believe onions should be fried in all dishes, its all in the taste.
- In a large bowl add the White pepper, Breadcrumbs, Dill, Egg, Pork Mince, Salt, and the fried onions. Mix well get your hands in and pummel the meat really well, make sure an even mix is made.
- Now make into small balls not to big as its Swedish balls a little bigger than a Walnut, I made about 30 balls with this mix. As you make one roll it in flour and set aside ready to brown.
- In the same pan as before brown all the meat balls, in batches if needs be, this just helps them stay whole in the slow cooker , removes some fat and stops them sticking together last thing you want is Swedish soup…..
- Once browned place them in the slow cooker With a slotted spoon you don’t need the fat. You wont stir this dish as we want them balls to stay balls. Turn on low and cover.
- Add the Hot beef stock, Soy Sauce, and season into a pan bring it to a simmer and slowly add the flour whisk or stir constantly until it starts to thicken, take your time get it right not to thick but not too watery. I like it with as little flour as I can see my picture you can always thicken it later if it not to your liking.
- Pour it all over the meat balls. Cover leave on low for 6-8 hrs.
Now if you want to enter the competition below to win a 6.5lt crock pot (my pot of choice) Offer ends 8th July 2014.
I serve this with cranberry jelly and mash potato is traditional, I was feeling lazy (or 9 months pregnant take your pick) so I used oven chips and I stir fried some veg to go with it.
NB: This is posted under Milk/Egg/Tomato free and nut free of course.
Would you like to win this: 6.5lts Crock Pot
Simply click the Picture above to enter. Offer Ends 8th July 2014.
I have teamed up with fellow blogger Lucy Baking Queen 74 an amazing baking blogger who bakes amazing creations in and out of the slow-cooker.
visit her site as well, she is an experimental baker and has created so many good treats and so easy to do.
find her here: Baking Queen 74 Personal Blog
and follow her on FB here: Baking Queen 74 Face Book Page.